FROM THE RESOURCE LIBRARY
Tobacco Cessation ResourcesVU VUMC
Self Help Resources
Sometimes all you need are the right tools. Here are some helpful resources that anyone can use to make quitting just a little easier.
- Read the book: The No Nag, No Guilt, Do it Your Own Way Guide to Quitting Smoking. Call Health Plus at 343-8943 or email Health Plus to receive a copy.
- Get your free tool-kit. A variety of useful items are included in this useful kit, including a book, mints, quick tips and more. Stop by Health Plus or call 343-8943 to get one.
- Visit smokefree.gov to create your quit plan, track your progress, and even calculate how much money you will save by kicking the habit!
- Download the FREE QuitSTART or QuitPal app on your mobile device. These apps help you track cravings, monitor progress toward milestones, track money saved, identify your triggers, even upload “pick me ups” and reminders!
If you’ve tried to quit before and had problems with nicotine withdrawal or cravings, you might want to consider medication.
- See your Primary Care Provider (PCP) for help. Your PCP can provide counseling, advice on nicotine replacement, and may prescribe medicine to help you quit. Find a provider by calling 936-MYMD (6963).
- The Occupational Health Clinic (OHC) Quit Rx Smoking Cessation program includes coaching through Health Plus, a customized quit plan, and up to 2 months of medication when indicated. Call 936-0955 to schedule an appointment.
Quitting smoking is tough, and you don’t have to go it alone. Here’s how to get support.
- Get a coach! Health Plus offers faculty and staff individualized support, by phone or in person, to help you become tobacco free. To make an appointment with a wellness coach, call 343-8943 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Learn relaxation techniques and stress resilience from a licensed counselor at Work/Life Connections-EAP. Make an appointment by calling 936-1327.
- Call the Tennessee Department of Health at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or visit the website. You will receive a free tobacco quit kit, work with a quit coach and get help learning to deal with tobacco cravings and other challenges.
- Sign up for SmokefreeTXT – a mobile text messaging service providing 24/7 encouragement, advice and tips to help smokers quit.
Keywords: cancer prevention, tobacco, smoking, quit, nicotine